Central Insurance has a people-first culture, so when feedback is received on it Employee Engagement Survey Suggesting that there is room for improvement in the paid leave policy, the company took it to heart.
“At Central Insurance, we invest in our people and treat each of our employees as an owner,” said Jena Wierwille, Vice President of Human Resources. “When we heard from our team that paid time off was an area for improvement, we took action.”
Inspired by progressive policies in the tech industry, the company revamped its PTO bag Maximize flexibility, better support employees and their families, and create a company culture that prioritizes employee care.
Why Create a Modern Paid Time Off Policy?
The insurance industry is rapidly evolving, and Central’s benefits package needed to reflect the workplace built for the future.
“In our industry, being able to provide forward-thinking, cutting-edge employee benefits is a top priority,” Wierwille said. “Our employees should never have to choose between working and taking care of themselves and their families. We believe that This is the right move for Central Insurance and its employees, and fits directly with our vision for the future of the organization.”
Subscribe to the Central Blog for more Central insights like this delivered straight to your inbox.
Looking ahead to the tech industry
In developing a modern paid leave policy, Central bases its decisions on progressive policies from the tech industry, which is known to be the most competitive PTO industry.
“What we like about the tech industry is its culture of autonomy and ownership, which is a direct reflection of Central’s culture,” Wierwille said. “We want to take that mindset of autonomy and ownership and give employees the responsibility to design their own experience — when and where you work, when you take time off, and how you blend it all together.” Offering Modern Paid Time Off Policies allow employees to take the initiative to create a better work-life balance for themselves.
The result is a paid time off policy that is 75 percent better than what top tech companies currently offer. With only 25% of tech companies nationwide offering more competitive policies, Central leads not only in insurance, but also in tech and data.
Central’s Paid Time Off Policy
Central’s revamped benefits package includes the following:
- additional paid time off: Each new employee will be given 20 days of vacation time on the day of employment. In addition, employees with 10-24 years of service are entitled to 25 days, and employees with more than 25 years of service are entitled to 30 days.
- Expansion of paid parental leave: In an effort to fully support growing families, Central has significantly increased its parental leave policy. Both parents are entitled to 100% paid time off for childbirth, adoption and placement of the child in foster care for 12 weeks.
- increase bereavement leave: In unfortunate circumstances, such as death, Central wants to be a true companion and ensure employees take time to mourn to take care of themselves. Employees are entitled to eight weeks of 100% paid time off following the death of a spouse or child.
did you know? Grief is one of the most common human experiences.About 2.5 million people die each year in the United States, leaving behind loved ones mourning the loss.
- Increase paid carer leave: To further support employees and their families, Central is increasing caregiver’s leave at 100% pay from zero weeks to eight weeks to care for family members with serious illnesses.
- Paid sick leave: As minor illnesses for employees and their children are unpredictable, central employees are entitled to 10 new days of sick leave each year.
Doubling down on mental health
Mental health is as important to employees’ personal and professional well-being as physical health, but is often overlooked by employers. Health, social and economic impacts are having serious and profound effects on our mental health and the demand for psychological support services continues to grow. As a company focused on its employees, Central has initiated a mental health program to ensure its employees and their families have access to the care, resources and support they need.
“We put the health and well-being of our employees first,” Wierwille said. “Our partnership with the Westwood Center for Behavioral Health will help remove barriers to mental health choices — from therapy to group workshops — so our employees can live their best, most balanced lives.”
Each week, five mental health providers provide Central employees with a combined 30 hours of free outpatient therapy time to address a range of personal and professional challenges. The center’s proximity to Central’s campus ensures convenient access to in-person therapy and 24-hour service.
Unparalleled Employee Experience
From a forward-looking flexible paid time-off policy to mental health services and supports, Central is taking critical steps to do what’s best for our employees and our community at large. These policies will create an employee experience that reflects Central’s commitment to relationships, integrity and excellence.To learn more, please visit The benefits page is at Central Insurance Network.